26 August 2009

The Cigar Box

I stumbled on a box hidden away
Long forgotten memories
Everyone should have one of these

Good old days, another age
Young footloose and fancy free
With no responsibility

The world was mine, to conquer, climb
Joys and passion of youth now faded
Snapshots of friends – not all lovers

Was he my first kiss, or this other?
Memories I thought I could never forget
Washed away – faint with age

Like discoloured letters, corners curled
A ribbon lovingly tied
For some unknown reason laid aside

Declared their love or said no more
Those watermarked with tears
Wondering if they’re still here

Tucked beneath the lid a lock of hair
I twirl his curl as I did before
Picture that face like yesterday

Caught in the folds of an envelope
A ring, cheap, tarnished, worn with pride
I’d almost forgotten him

Nostalgia lies wrapped in tissue on the bottom
Words and verse – letters of illicit love
Now he was the one

I close my eyes remembering
Forgiven – not forgotten
Some things are best left, hidden




© 2007 ann raven

No comments: